Tuesday, August 4, 2015

20 Personal SL Questions - 'Berry's Blog Challenge

A little bit deeper 'Berry challenge blog this time. I guess I'm feeling the need to write, but not about anything specific. I'm sure my emotions will catch up with my brain at some point and everything will pour out like word vomit onto the virtual pages, but for now..I blog simple stuff. Everything in SL is wonderful, btw... :) Its all good emotions!


  1. When and how did you discover Second Life? – About 6 years ago, a friend of mine told me about this awesome “game” he was playing, lol. I signed up, made an avi, and never got off noob island. 6 months later, my RL roomate told me they were on SL, and helped me make another avi and get a real start. The rest, as they say, is history!

  2. Did you know about virtual worlds before or was this your first experience with them? – I had heard of SL in the news – various stories about ugly divorces and lawsuits over “virtual currency” but I had no clue...I'd been in various chat clients for years, but never anything like SL.
  3. Has Second Life met your expectations? – In most ways, far exceeded them. I never knew or even imagined that something like SL existed, or that you could do and experience the kind of things that you can here. Its really pretty amazing.
  4. If you could teleport back to the first ten minutes of your avatar’s slife, what would you tell yourself? – You're going to meet an amazing blonde kitten that you will fall head over heels for..when it comes to a choice – DO NOT WALK AWAY!!! Stay and fight!
  5. How long did it take you to master avatar flying and driving vehicles inworld? – Hmmm....flying I still have issues with...driving vehicles I'm pretty damn good at, lag not withstanding. It took practice though!
  6. Do you have a mystery alt? – I do not. My closest friends know all of my alts, and the purposes of each.
  7. Is your SL avatar a reflection of you, or someone you wished you could be? – A little bit of both. My personality definitely comes through, with all the associated positives and negatives of ME. Physically – obviously – I'm not a male model, LOL.We do share some qualities though..a love of vodka being one...

  8. Is there an individual you met in SL that inspired you in your RL? How? – I've been inspired by a LOT of people I've met in SL – some in positive ways (I want to do that, I can do that..I should do that...I should get off my ass and do SOMETHING...I could really make this work with her...)..some in negative (OMG do NOT turn into them....I can NOT be around this person...I have to get away from this negativity...). SL connections definitely have an effect on my RL.
  9. Do you feel it is easier to create stronger bonds/relationships with people you meet inworld as opposed to the real world? – I do. I have a hard time making friends in RL – I'm not a very sociable person. In fact, you might say I'm just a horrible human being because I wind up alienating myself from all but a small tight knit group of friends with my intolerance for ignorance and stupidity. I have the same problems in SL, but I tend to meet more people who are like me – and hold on to them! My friends' list right now has about 20 avis on it, that reflect about 8 actual individuals, almost all of whom I have some kind of contact and connection outside of SL with. Meaning I keep in touch with them by phone, by skype, by FB, etc etc. Or at least, have the option to. I hold on to people who are worth holding onto. The rest fall by the wayside when they show their asses.
  10. Did you ever imagine or believe people could fall in love with someone they never met before Second Life? – Having been in chat clients )AOL, mIRC,yahoo, etc) for years prior to SL, I knew it was possible to develop loving feelings for someone you hadn't met in person. However, I never knew just how DEEP those feelings could go. I certainly never imagined that D/s connections could be fostered and thrive in a virtual environment before I got here.

  1. How has your perspective of dating changed (or not) since you started playing second life? – I've learned that its critically important to discuss expectations for potential RL involvement prior to getting serious with someone in SL – and to be painfully honest about them. I've learned that as much as some people say RL=RL, SL=SL, never the twain shall meet...its BS, lol. Emotions transcend, and your heart doesn't give a flying fuck what boundaries you try to put up. I've also come to realize that Sl relationships, even the ones that say from the outset “SL ONLY”, thrive on the fantasy of RL. The occasional comment in an intimate moment of “I wish you were here...” or “If I was there, I could...” You can't tell me its never happened to you. It happens to everyone – its human nature. And when those bubbles are burst, it tends to do irreparable harm to the relationship. People speak of a “*WALL*” in SL...a limit of growth in a relationship, a turning point, where things have to move beyond SL or expand out of it in some way shape or form, become more real or at least break outside of the confines of the viewing platform – in order to continue, to grow. I firmly believe that. Not saying every SL relationship has to go RL to continue beyond a certain point, but it does need to deepen and move beyond your standard SL relationship of “let's go out dancing tonight” or “let's stay home and fuck”. Whether that's “Hey, want to call and BS for 3 hours about nothing while we sit on our couches and log off the damn computer?” or “Hey, how about we watch a movie together on netflix?” or “Hey, how about we plan to meet for dinner next month?”...all depends on the relationship.
  1. How has your perspective of employment changed (or not) since you started playing second life? – . I want a work from home job so I can spend more time on SL, LOL. As far as SL employment – I prefer not to work in SL since I work in RL. I'll fill my linden coffers as needed from my RL coffers. 

  2. Name three things in both your lives that overlap each other significantly. – My relationship with Angela...my RL Roomate's relationship in SL (as I'm generally the relationship therapist)...my friendship and establishing comfort level with Ang's RL fiance. So, I guess, my connections overlap significantly.

  3. If you could live your life more immersively in a virtual world, would you? (Kind of like the Matrix) – I think yes...that would be pretty freaking awesome, actually. As technology hasn't expanded to that degree yet...I'll just have to settle for making cotton candy dreams come true...

  4. How do you think behavior changes for people if they’re inworld vs in real world? Why do you think that is? – I think many people are freer to be their ideal selves here...but many more are free to be assholes without borders – consequence free – because of the anonymity. It helps to discern the decent human beings from the wastes of oxygen. Character traits – both positive and negative – are usually exaggerated in SL. If you are a nice person in RL, you will be a wonderful person in SL. If you are an asshole in RL, you will be a MEGA asshole in SL. 

  5. How has second life consumerism changed your perception of spending habits, the value of money, the need to be “bleeding edge” with fashion? – I never really gave it much thought. I mean, I've always had a shopping problem in SL, LOL...but I tend to stick to my budgets and bargain shop. I have my own look that I stick to in SL. I go to every fair and event to see all the new stuff that comes out, but if its not my style, I'm not going to buy it, no matter how bleeding edge it is. I will, however, point and laugh at anyone who does if so deserved :D 

  6. Do you think virtual worlds like SL drive and redefine human interaction or do they narrow and limit it? – I think a bit of both. While SL teaches you to be more cognizant of the value and tone of your words, it also gives you free reign to abuse them – within the limits of your own conscience. This again is another thing that separates the wheat from the chaff...creative, intelligent people will take a platform like SL and run with it, use the tools it provides and the power of their own imagination to enrich their experience and that of others. A boring, ignorant person will essentially become a “pose ball humper”. 

  7. If technology progressed tomorrow to allow you to send emotions to people the way you’d send text or voice messages, would it enrich your SL experience or infringe on it? – I think if you communicate well and take the time to get to know people...emotions are rather easily communicated even without that type of technology. Words and word choice are incredibly expressive and powerful. When you add in decent emoting of body language or whatnot...who needs electronic communication to know that someone who is “sitting on the beach, holding my knees to my chest, rocking back and forth, and quietly letting the occasional sniffle escape” is sad and hurting and in need of a hug?

  8. Name three skills you attribute to having learned or honed in second life alone. – Emoting...photo editing...virtual clothing design.

  9. If your grand kids googled your Second Life Avatar’s name, would they be intrigued, disgusted, proud or something else? – HAHAHA!!! Ummm....probably a little confused...and embarrassed...which would tickle me to no end.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments welcome :)